4. Meeting The Mentor
At this crucial turning point where the Hero desperately needs guidance he meets a mentor figure who gives him something he needs. He could be given an object of great importance, insight into the dilemma he faces, wise advice, practical training or even self-confidence. Whatever the mentor provides the Hero with it serves to dispel his doubts and fears and give him the strength and courage to begin his quest.
From: https://www.thoughtco.com/heros-journey-meeting-with-the-mentor-31349
In most hero's journey stories, the hero is first seen in the ordinary world when he or she receives a call to adventure. Our hero generally refuses that call in the beginning, either afraid of what will happen or satisfied with life as it is. And then someone like Gandalf appears to change the hero's mind, and to bestow gifts and gadgets. This is the "meeting with the mentor."
The mentor gives the hero the supplies, knowledge, and confidence required to overcome his or her fear and face the adventure, according to Christopher Vogler, author of The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure. Keep in mind that the mentor doesn't have to be a person. The job can be accomplished by a map or experience from a previous adventure.
Interesting. I have had this urge recently to seek out a psychotherapist who is schooled in both psychoanalysis and eastern spiritual practices (and now I would be tempted to add Jungian to the mix). This may something about the kind of guidance I feel I need, and that may be a more fruitful line of inquiry, rather than taking my perceived need at face value. But I need to understand "a map or experience from a previous adventure" - not sure how that works🤔
ReplyDelete