Monday, January 16, 2023

* What is sacred to us? (Pilgrimage)

 Thinking about a Sacred Pilgrimage or long walk.

  1. What is sacred?
  2. What is sacred to us?
  3. What makes a long walk a pilgrimage?
  4. What are the benefits of a pilgrimage?
  5. What is a 12-hour walk? (And does it have to be 12 hours, alone, outside, and unplugged?)
  6. Pilgrimage walk examples
  1. What is sacred? Do we need to identify what is sacred to us?
Wikipedia: Sacred describes something that is dedicated or set apart for the service or worship of a deity;[1] is considered worthy of spiritual respect or devotion; or inspires awe or reverence among believers. The property is often ascribed to objects (a "sacred artifact" that is venerated and blessed), or places ("sacred ground").

French sociologist Émile Durkheim considered the dichotomy between the sacred and the profane to be the central characteristic of religion: "religion is a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, that is to say, things set apart and forbidden."[2]: 47  In Durkheim's theory, the sacred represents the interests of the group, especially unity, which are embodied in sacred group symbols, or using team work to help get out of trouble. The profane, on the other hand, involve mundane individual concerns.
  1. What is sacred to us?
"Where two or more are gathered ...."

Maybe we have to define what is sacred to us before we can recognize the "right" pilgrimage when it appears?

  1. What makes a walk a pilgrimage?
"Really is there much difference between walking the West Highland Way and the Camino de Santiago? After all everyone who walks the Camino does not do it for religious reasons. So, what does make a walk a pilgrimage? It is widely known as a journey to a place that is considered special as holy place or a place of historical significance. That is true in the traditional sense, but the intention is what makes a pilgrimage different. A walk with purpose & significance from self-discovery to personal achievement. Sometimes, the purpose isn't clear until reflection upon completion of the journey but it can lead to a personal transformation."
  1. What are the Benefits of a Pilgrimage?

"A pilgrimage is the perfect way to clear your mind, focus on your journey and take the time to soak up surroundings. With this focus you will make discoveries along the way, about yourself, about the human spirit, and the culture of the land you explore.

Feeling more connected with nature, the smell of pine trees or freshly cut grass, the feeling of sun warming your face or taking the time to listen to the birds chirping in the trees can give your life a new meaning.

One of our benefits? Meeting people of diverse backgrounds, sharing the experience and making your way to a common goal is part of the beauty of a pilgrimage. ? The camaraderie and interactions you will encounter along the way can give you a new understanding of humanity."
  1. 12-hour walk
I came across this several months ago and was intrigued. I'm not sure I could do 12 hours in one day (nor am I sure I couldn't with a bit of training and enough breaks). Criteria seems to be 12 hours unplugged and alone. I wonder if we might want to include a modification ... maybe integrate into retreats ... start with 3 hours, together (or separate) but silent, maybe rest/journal breaks along the way, with reflection at the end?
  1. Pilgrimage walk examples:
https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/pilgrimage-walks/travel-guide/our-top-5
(One in Spain, one in England, 3 in Japan)

2 comments:

  1. After listening to Campbell sing his praises of Japan (chapter 9) I am tempted to go there. And all of them are appealing. But first things first, what places speak to the journey? Here I am of mixed mind. Places that are personally special, or places that are recognized sacred ground. Let's read Pico Ayer first, and see what guidance he offers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. ;-) Haven't gotten to 9 but watching Pico Iyer on TED, I suddenly had a thought that I'd like to go to Japan. Not to big cities but some of the more rural places. Some of the walks in the examples on this post look fascinating. In the meantime, I'm going to try to suss out what's sacred to me ... and I think doing the Pico Iyer course may be informative for all of this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.