Saturday, January 14, 2023

Are we empaths?

JW: If we weren't on this journey, I would reject this question out right. If I hadn't had so many experiences of something coming out of what I have resisted or rejected all together, I would dismiss this idea as pseudoscience. However ...


Position to date: people who claim to be highly sensitive empaths need to think of themselves as special. While obviously there is a spectrum of how people feel and think, claiming "empath" status seems to be more of an excuse to not think rationally and justify overly emotional reactions. (I own the judgment in this statement.)

This morning: I woke up thinking I'm an empath!๐Ÿ˜‰ I claim no extraordinary powers, however, I do recognize some ability to feel hearts and wounds. Co-dependency? As a child in an angry environment, reading the temperature of the room was a useful skill. Like most women, I read tones of voice ... who knows how accurately. Long after relationships have gone astray, I still think about their hearts more than their behaviors.

New thinking: Rather than thinking empaths are people with special powers, I'm now thinking it's part of the human condition ... a condition that is often rejected as being soft or weak. Which means, I presume, being on a journey such as ours will open us to our own level of empathicness (is that a word?) and increase our level of empathy. Does that mean we will be less  rational? What are the hazards of being more open to empathy?

Because my morning thought was such a new one, I went searching the question of how to know if a thought/feeling is true. There was a lot of talk about negative thoughts; fewer about positive thoughts, and this seemed positive. The answers seemed to boil down to thoughts/beliefs could be thought of as perspectives and then we can decide whether or not those perspectives serve us.

So now, I'm contemplating how viewing the world from a place of empathy has served and will serve me (and the world). Would love to talk about this if it interests you.

Here's a list I found of traits of an empath ... I've put an x by the ones that seem to fit and thought you might be interested in doing the same. I don't have many x's so maybe this whole thing is just morning madness. ;-)

  • Often considered a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
  • x Materially, energetically and spiritually generous
  • Absorbent to the point of having to shed the emotions collected from others
  • x Highly intuitive, telepathic or clairvoyant (intuitive maybe)
  • Sleep is filled with potent dreams that are easily remembered and interpreted
  • Appear to be slightly sad or depressed, more than most
  • Come off as mystical or spiritual
  • x Tend to be shy, introverted or avoidant of conversation (slightly)
  • Able to heal others of physical, intellectual and emotional challenges
  • Easily manipulated or coerced
  • Easily overwhelmed
  • Can quickly become the dumpster for every else’s negativity
  • Energy can be rapidly drained
  • Equally helpful to friends and strangers
  • x Often feel better in solitude (sometimes)
  • Feel as though they can deeply and genuinely relate with trees, plants, and animals as if they are kin to human beings
  • Able to pick up the disease and physical symptoms of the sick
  • x Able to quickly parse the emotions and thoughts of others (slightly)
  • x Attractive to narcissists and energy vampires (sometimes)
  • x Attuned to the moment someone lies (except when I'm not)
  • x Tend to give far more than is required or necessary (sometimes)
  • Tend to have a tipping point where the individual cuts cords with others
  • Might temporarily hate themselves, and as a result, get stuck for a while
  • x Might be seen as a doormat or sucker (sometimes)
  • Sensitive to smells, sounds, and tastes to the point of being immobilized
  • x Feel full of love and light when they are surrounded by nature
  • x Feel replenished during thunderstorms and snow storms (somewhat)
  • x Shocked by event crowds, cocktail parties, and busy department stores
  • x Loves to write, paint, sculpt, color, dance or play music

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I am working on a response, but my dictation efforts and not cooperating, so it's back to hunt and peck. I'll try to complete it today. I did notice that I tended to zero in on the negative traits, which is a whole other issue๐Ÿ˜”, so I need to percolate on that one...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.