Wednesday, January 18, 2023

 EWR Heroes and the perils they face

I'm recalling an old TV episode, I believe it was Davy Crockett, when I was somewhere around 10 years old. Davy's nemesis, Mike Finn, had challenged him to a river race. As they started down the river they came to a place where the river broke into two channels. There was a sign saying something to the effect of "this way is the safe way," and "this way is danger!" 

Mike Finn got there first and switched the sign around, so Davy was fooled into thinking he was taking the safe route but actually taking the dangerous route. 

Davy had a hell of a ride, bobbing up and down and barely being able to stay in the boat while it plunged into turbulent rapids. Meanwhile Mike Fink, to his chagrin, got bogged down in swamp grass or some such impediment and couldn't get unstuck.

This being a Disney production, of course Davy hung on and won the race, making a fool out of Mike Finn. My hero!! I had a coonskin cap that was my prized possession. 

All in all, a pretty good metaphor for life, and for rising to the challenges, especially when they are unexpected and you thought you were making the "safe" choice.

1 comment:

  1. Coonskin cap ... I love it. And that is a great metaphor. Perhaps the place of greatest danger is our comfort zone. Who wants to die in their own bathtub, anyway? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.