...this morning I was listening to Joseph Campbell chapters 5 and 6 on the heroes journey and he talked about this phrase "being transparent to the transcendent”. What in blazes does that mean? He goes on to quote Carl Jung as saying "I am trying to discover what myth I have been living". That kind of blew my jets. So what myth have I been living? What myth have you been living?
So the question I have for this week is how to bring myth into my life. That seemed to segue into another question which is: How have I made my way in the world? Two things came to mind immediately. One is by constructing a rich fantasy life where I play out all the scenarios I dare not not act out on my real life. Another is by enshrining heroes, making other people "larger than life” and ascribing to them all the attributes I find lacking in myself.
What do you think about the "law" of mirroring? What we see in others is a reflection of ourselves. I like the idea until I think about what I see in the former president ... I would hate to think that all of that gunk is a reflection of my inner self. Hmmmm ... can you just take the upside of a "law?"
ReplyDelete