Wednesday, June 14, 2023

EWR A requiem: George Winston



He came into my life at a time when my love of music had hit a plateau. The music of the late 60s and early 70s was receding fast and I didn't warm at all to the punk rock scene that was coming into vogue. I don't remember exactly when I first heard his music, but there was something haunting, wistful, and melancholy about it, which appealed to my Irish disposition. The compositions were simple, I could almost imagine playing them myself. 


I remember a friend of mine played it for her music teacher, who criticized him on the grounds that the music didn't "go anywhere". I believe that's why I liked it, it was evocative and carried my spirit to heartfelt places, something classical music never did. It was the aural version of Ram Dass’ Be Here Now, a calming, mellifluous balm for my spirit, a spirit rattled and upended by the daily sturm und drang  of my life in the corporate world. 


It is still my go-to choice when I want to hear something with overtones of reverence and longing. Although the term New Age music quickly became a cultural cliché which some consider to be synonymous with insipid, it was always a sonic massage for me and that was more than enough.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this ... I was transfixed by "new age" ... and wrote my first book listening to Ray Lynch's "Deep Breakfast" turned up as loud as possible so I couldn't hear myself telling myself that I couldn't write this book. There was so much incredible music during that time. Listening to "Summer" right now ... what do you think about him as our trip music? Summer might be a bit upbeat. Just posted Chapter 2 notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... you have sent me down memory lane ... now listening to Kitaro "Silk Roads" ... I saw him in a fabulous concert in San Diego with huge taiko drums. Think I've seen Yanni 3 times. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.