![]() |
| Brand tag |
The brand tag on the t-shirt was cute and when I asked about it, I learned a Spanish phrase used to express surprise or amazement: ¡Ay Güey! ... used in the same way as "wow" or, what I use more than I want to: "oh my god!," or even "OMG." (Both of those still tweak my Sunday School upbringing.) ¡Ay Güey! offers me a way to replace OMG, even though most people won't understand it. (Decision still in process.)
Later the same day, I responded to another one of those delightful common ground tidbits that showed up as a mutual attraction to Martin Shaw and commented that it was one of those things that "make me a little bit crazy."
After thinking about that remark for awhile, I've decided to stop using words such as those in reference to my mental/emotional state. I'm not crazy ... I'm delighted by finding these pieces of common ground that make me feel connected and add richness to our journey.
I think being a little bit delighted by the small wonders of life is a bunch better than using the word crazy even in a somewhat humorous way. There is no crazy lady. There's just a person on an unexpected journey that is sometimes confusing because she's learning new ways of being.
Language is important and, perhaps, self-language is even more important. I want to continue the journey into awareness of my own language and am grateful for this opportunity to witness this process (and be witnessed) as our journey unfolds.

I think you've hit on something. Words are important - sacred even- and there's a thin line between deprecation and self-abuse. In any case, no need to qualify your excursions into the shadow realms by such disclaimers! I love expressions and Spanish, like French and German, has some of the most enticing expressions. For years I have sought for occasions to use ¡Arriba, arriba! ¡Ándale,
ReplyDeleteándale! (Go, go! Come on, come on!). The english translation pales in comparison. ¡Ay Güey! has a similar ring, a note of "let's join the fun!" EWR
Yes! One of these days, I'd like spend time discussing what we consider sacred. Words would be a good place to start. Conversation ... then I get into the swirl of "values vs sacred." Is there a difference and, if so, how do we define sacred?
Delete