![]() |
| We said something like this yesterday. |
EWR: reading Walking in Wonder, John O'Donohue recommended by Eric's sister.
Discussion about crossing the threshold and what is the threshold ... the ability to love ourselves.
Gestalt discussion: EWR - poet/professor; JW: singer/economist.
EWR to post his notes collected so far about poet/professor ... wonder vs. rules.
Goal is to integrate these two personas. Identify fears and worries, what makes us fret ... focus on competencies in a way that lets us know we could rely on them.
Identify examples of resilience in the past.
Build a foundation of confidence trust in our competencies.
Look for the joy moments that have created two resilient, kind, compassionate people.
Life Balance Sheet (forgive the financial term) -- please add to list as you see fit
- We have both been through the fire of caregiving.
- We have suffered financial setbacks and mistakes.
- We have experienced career disappointments, failures, and successes.
- We've lost friends and relatives, some to death, some to rejection (at least in my case, JW), and still have good friends who care about us.
- We are now healthy: physically, mentally, and financially sound and free of encumbrances with only minimal responsibilities.
- We are interested in the world and willing to follow our bliss.
- We are generally kind, compassionate, and generous.
- We have created a circle of trust and seem to be willing to support each other in whatever ways make sense.
- We are available to life.
EWR I'm inclined to build on the balance sheet idea by cribbing a tool I used in my organizational consulting work: A SWOT analysis. I want to recognize right off that this is a left-brain exercise and plays to my professor. The letters stand for Strength, Weakness, Opportunity, Threat. For weakness I am inclined to substitute Vulnerability, a more emotionally satisfying word. Here is one I did some years back:
It maybe interesting for us to do this exercise in preparation for our life review and planning. It can lead to a discussion of such things as "How would I anticipate handling the Threats if they materialize?" and "How can I turn the Opportunities into experiments and experiences?" We actually were doing some of this on Friday. I like this in that it structures the discussion and can both stimulate the Adventurer and reassure the "Guardian" (a term I borrowed from Deloitte - Guardians are the ones who protect us)

Ahhh ... we had cross postings, so now I see what you updated and like it. Familiar with that tool and while mine would have a lot of similar entries (surprise!), I should probably do the exercise so we can look at both. More productive than the rebellious rant I did today. ;-)
ReplyDeleteJW: SWOT Updated
ReplyDeleteI vaguely remembered doing the SWOT ... here's a post from Feb 17. Do you think they need to be redone or should we just talk about them at the next call?
ReplyDelete