Sunday, May 7, 2023

Paradox of Adventure: Out There or In Here?

Something has been niggling in my brain about the idea of adventure. Something I feel like I'm missing. So I'm setting off to explore the territory once more.

Premise: Life is an adventure. There's no getting out of it alive. Should I be looking "out there" for adventure or am I living in adventure and just not recognizing it? Am I looking for adventure just to tell the tale, to make me "out of the ordinary"? Does adventure make me feel "worthy?" Is looking for "adventure" better than looking for "beauty" or "truth" or "generosity?"

What is the purpose of an adventure?

Yesterday's view:

Adventure = -O [UO + P + M + C] (Out of the Ordinary, Uncertain Outcome, Passion, Mindfulness, Companionship) From: Nissan Presents: 'The Five Elements of Adventure'


                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBcFIfzDebE

Today: this video gave me a lot to think about.


                          Podcast: The Five Elements of Adventure (different from yesterday)

YouTube write-up: I took all of 2013 off from work to full time pursue my two greatest interests - Yoga & Shamanism. This is the story of the first half of that year where I went to India to explore Yoga, The Motherland , and the space in between my ears, during a six month journey.  

The five elements of Adventure are:
1.     Embrace the Unknown
2.     Freedom from (Your) Identity
3.     Be ready to meet Unconventional Teachers in Unconventional Places
4.     Danger. Danger and calibrated risk is intimately connected to adventure
5.     Learn to Trust The Universe/God

BY SHARING THIS PERSONAL STORY, I HOPE TO MAKE YOU SMILE AND TRIGGER THOUGHTS OF YOUR OWN ADVENTURES FROM THE PAST – OR TO inspire you to pursue a dream trip OF YOUR OWN, or A wild FANTASY, at some point if the door opens and gives you an opportunity to plan and execute. 

Everyone must have one great adventure before dying. jaisugrim.com

**** Notes:
The greatest adventure of all ... the required global shift in consciousness.
  • Being able to embrace uncertainty is important for your head space.
  • You will be unknown, your identity left behind in the "safe world." You are free because who knows you? How are you going to tell your tale of who you are and where you're from? You can let go of your story. Look at yourself from another perspective.
  • Be prepared to learn from everyone you meet. Meet wisdom everywhere.
Idea: Adventure Prep:
Go somewhere, anywhere, and
talk to people, anyone, find wisdom.
  • Danger and calibrated risk is connected to adventure. Be ready to get out of our comfort zone.
  • Trust the universe. "This is unfolding as it should." is a useful mental space to embrace.
Idea: Explore past adventures
He was looking for direct experience of teachers and places.
"What you do from 4 to 7 am, you become a master of." -- wisdom

Idea: Create a 4-7 am routine

From a different source: Allow time enough and attention enough to connect with the infinite intelligence of the Universe. Allow ourselves to receive a message or notice that's uniquely ours and to let that transition into an adventure that is truly ours, one that comes from a source other than ego.

I wonder if my main interest in adventure is consciousness. All of my six adventures are activities, doing something, creating something. Maybe they should rather focus on being something. This video is making me wonder if I have the mettle to begin a serious yoga/meditation practice. I have reached out to the local shala.

I have never wanted to go to India, however, this video made me wonder if that's just resistance speaking. I don't think I would be comfortable in India ... but maybe that's the point.



1 comment:

  1. Woke up feeling I needed to take another look at "adventure" .. wound up with some different ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.