Friday, April 14, 2023

JW: May 2023 Central Coast California Area

Since I think Central Coast checks some of the boxes for a future living place for you,  I thought being located in an area that interests you was as important as the qualities of a normal "retreat" place and might make 3 nights worthwhile for getting the feel of these places. I only explored the 5/15 time frame, but if none of these work, we can explore the following week to see if there are other places available.

The last name of my friend/poet/real estate agent is Casanova! ;-)

AirBNB Arroyo Grande/Pismo ... beautiful beaches, sand dunes, decent shopping, Pismo is a bit touristy ... 30 minutes south of SLO

AirBNB SLO - charming downtown, college, hotter in summer
Mid-Century Design Close to Downtown - private addition to existing home. $139/night (available 3 nights) ... excellent reviews 4.93 ·1,006 reviews 󰀃Superhost Free cancellation before May 10.

Los Osos - a little funky, beautiful bay, Montaña de Oro beach/park, pygmy forest, 10 minutes to SLO

AirBNB Morro Bay - bay, rock, touristy art town, 15 minutes to SLO

AirBNB Cambria - stunning beaches, quaint and charming town, not a place to live but fun to visit. 40 minutes north of SLO (Plus, the best lemon meringue pie)
My place is close to beach, hiking, shopping, restaurants.
Free cancellation for 48 hours. $195/night

6 comments:

  1. Kinda tough choices. The price is right but they are all more on the funky/eclectic side. I don't see the one in SLO being very quiet although it is convenient to the downtown, which is a pretty neat area as I recall. I am probably leaning towards the one in Cambria because it's nearer the water and seems more bucolic. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cambria was definitely my first choice but doesn't give you as much "possible move" experience and only has 48 hours cancellation so we should be sure this is a go before reserving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that, in turn, depends on the purpose of the trip. Are we re-treating or home hunting. I am ambivalent I must admit. I'd like to do both but I think that would be trying to cover to much ground and lead to an unsatisfying experience. We do have a retreat already scheduled a month later. So maybe we go with Casanova and make it a funky tour of homes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My guess is that we will be "retreating" as we go regardless. But I'm thinking of it more of as an excursion. Alec (Casanova) is located in Arroyo Grande so the Cambria place is the farthest away from him. We could probably see a lot in 2-3 hours with him, perhaps on the day we come back from Cambria ... or stay in SLO and have more time to wander neighborhoods and get a feel for the area. The SLO place does seem a bit urban but the host gets great reviews and sounds knowledgeable. We could text him about noise, etc. I am flipflopish (low brow ambivalent ... ;-) Maybe it's more about how much that area draws you as a real option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tough call can we wait to Friday or do we need to talk sooner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These might go away but I think there's enough fuzziness to contemplate this more. Friday makes sense. You could also just spend a night or two here in SB ... I'd be happy to drive you one way and your friend could drive you back ... lots of permutations.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.